Thursday, December 11, 2014

"Brycie" coming to Southern Friends

Working in animal rescue is no easy task on so many levels. It's hard work... physical, mental, emotional. It's rewarding! It's mind boggling! It's bittersweet.

I started this blog for that reason, kind of as a diary of my days in animal rescue, and to share on a more personal level what we do at Southern Friends.

As all rescues, we stay full. We're constantly trying to find new fosters, but other than that, our space is dependent upon just that, SPACE! We turn down very deserving cats & dogs EVERY day. Heartbreaking!

But as it goes, we had one space at the Sanctuary open up, just recently, for a dog. The dog, we could do best by, would need to fit into a run with three other pups, Charlie, Trail and Mollie. So I started keeping a watchful eye out for this new addition to our group.

Memphis Pets Alive caught my attention with their "Wag Along Tuesday" post. A pretty little girl that might work. I printed her, and 3 other possibilities, information and off to Memphis Animal Services I go.

I know better than to go browsing the aisle after aisle of sad faces. It's just too overwhelming for me. So I asked that Pup #1 be brought up front for a Meet & Greet. OMG was she cute! I spent a lot of time with her trying to convince myself that she was The One. But, alas, my brain overcame my emotions and I said to myself, "Tara, you know she's not a good fit for that Run." So I tearfully sent her back and asked to see Pup #2.

I didn't spend as much time with Pup #2, because I instinctively knew that she was a much better candidate. I did a quick assessment, which she passed with flying colors. I then took her into the lobby to see how she was around other humans and dogs. Again she passed with flying colors. I checked off my mental list of: Size, age, temperament, health... Yep, I think she'll do really well with, "The Trio," as I fondly call them.

So this is our, newly named, Brycie's story. This sweet pup was picked up as a stray, some where in Memphis, and never claimed by her owner. She sat in a small kennel, in a big Shelter, awaiting a fate she had no control over.

Some would say this was her lucky day. She got "picked." I say I am the lucky one. I get to know, and care for, this sweet girl. I get to watch her learn to love and trust humans, and play, possibly for the first time in her two short years of life. I get to see that special person or family come along, set their eyes on Brycie, and know she's The One for their family.

Pup #1, #3 & #4? A piece of my heart stays with them, sitting in a small kennel, in a large Shelter, awaiting their fate.

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment