Thursday, December 18, 2014

"All I Want for Christmas"

As I listen to Christmas music, on the radio, in the stores, at work... pretty well everywhere I go this time of year, one familiar lyric catches my attention and gives me pause for thought, "All I Want for Christmas..."

This year, being totally immersed in animal rescue, these lyrics bring to mind all the pups who will not enjoy the comfort, joy and love of having their own home this Christmas.

At Southern Friends, we do the very best we can to give our pups a wonderful environment. The dogs have large runs, warm shelter, fresh food and water, companion pups to run and play with, medical care, toys, and as much human attention as we can give them.

But even with the very best possible care, I know that the Sanctuary is not the same as a home of their own. It's easy to see this when a dog finally gets that furever home. In just a few short days, sometimes even hours, you can see their little bodies relax, their eyes have a gleam that was not there before, and when once, seeing you, as a volunteer, was the best part of their day, now they stick close to their new human, practically smiling up into their eyes, tail wagging at the sound of THEIR human's voice.

So this year, when I hear these familiar songs of Christmas, I feel a little tug of my heart strings for these wonderful pups. I picture them curled up in their Igloos sleeping through the dark and cold of night, no human's foot to curl up against, no welcoming lap to crawl into.

And tomorrow, when I go to the Sanctuary to feed, water, and care for these guys, I'll be sure to take time from my busy work, squat down with each one individually, give them a reassuring hug, a friendly ear rub, a special treat from my pocket, and I'll whisper in their ear... "All I want for Christmas, this year, is a warm, loving home for you."

Tara


No comments:

Post a Comment