Sunday, February 15, 2015

"They are so hopeful" four little, but very powerful, words

     Wow! What a weekend. Our Valentine's Day adoption event was so fun! Wonderful volunteers, awesome adoptable pets, and surprise visits from past adopters! It was so heartwarming to see several of our former pets who found loving, furever homes.

     There is a thing called, "Rescue Burnout." And anyone having been in rescue for very long understands this. It's not that you don't love what you do, or that you don't care anymore. Instead, it's from the frustration of having to turn down animals in need every single day. It's the overwhelming sadness of hearing, seeing and experiencing, every single day, the hurt and sadness of animal neglect and abuse. It's the loving, and the letting go. It's draining, physically, mentally and emotionally.

     Then we have a day like yesterday when we see our former pups so happy, healthy and loved! We experience the support of awesome volunteers. We see how our hard work has come together to pull off a fun, successful event.

      And this weekend was even sweeter! One of our former adopters brought their pup, Copper, in for a visit and a Valentine picture. While there, they saw and fell in love with Boomer, and decided to make him a part of their family!

     So if you've followed my blog, or my FB posts, you'll know how attached I've become to Boomer. This little boy stole my heart from the first time I saw him in the Shelter. He's lived in my home and become a part of my family... And now he's gone... So bittersweet, and draining.

     And on this very same day, when I'm feeling every inch of that thing called, "Rescue Burnout," this pops up on our FB page, "Nikki Lane Parrish 5 star They are so hopeful and their heart is definitely in the right place!"

      Wow! These four little words, "They are so hopeful." Thank you Nikki Lane Parrish! For reminding me why I am in animal rescue. It's because we (our awesome team of caring people) ARE so hopeful! We're doing everything we physically, mentally and emotionally can to make this world a better place for animals. And it's groups like ours, all over the world, that ARE making a difference.

     So, to pay it forward, and to borrow Nikki's words... I want to thank our Board, our volunteers, our fosters, our adopters, and our supporters! "YOU are so hopeful, and your heart is definitely in the right place!"

     And now, to go take care of our newest pups: Six little babies. Staying at my house until this cold weather breaks. Feed, water, pick up poop, love on babies, pick up poop, feed, love on babies, pick up more poop. Oh, it's time to feed again! But first... love!
 
     Nite nite Boomer. I love you little boy!
     Tara


Copper


Lizzy


Allie, formerly Brycie


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for what you all are doing at Southern Animal Rescue Society! I understand and have experienced the "rescue burnout" and happy stories like these are what pick me back up. I cannot wait until I can help even more!

    ReplyDelete