Sunday, January 18, 2015

Southern Friends, born from passion, growing with dedication

For most of my adult life, I've searched for my passion, the thing that would make me complete. I've enjoyed the journey. I've traveled to places I never knew existed, I've tried my hand, and my voice, to discover musical talents - not so much talent. But I do love music and learned a lot! I've danced in ballrooms, ran in races, wrote a book (won't be published), discovered various religions and cultures, read a lot of books and watched a lot of movies. I enjoy photography, but not so much the mechanics of getting that great photo. The list is longer, but I'll stop there.

I stumbled into animal rescue when my husband and I adopted our first dog together. She was with a local rescue, that I eventually did some foster work for. My interest was piqued! But fostering didn't work out so well with our adopted dog. She wasn't very keen on having strangers in her house. We adopted a second pup, a little puppy, and she took to him like a mother.

Our first dog showed more and more symptoms of instability the older she got. I wanted badly to help her and didn't know how. There began my interest in training and becoming a dog trainer. The dog training work was so rewarding and fulfilling that I wanted to share this with shelter pups, to help them become more adoptable. Thus leading me to meeting Terri Esther, the founder/co-founder of Southern Friends.

Terri and I first met three years ago. From day one we have walked this path together. Along the route, we met and added to our Board, Lisa Marlin, Trisha Standard, and the newest, Sherry Nicholson. The glue that holds us together? Our passion. We want a better world for the animals that share with us this earth, especially for the ones who share with us our homes. I've never met a group so dedicated: Tender hearts, hard workers, tenacious, loving, gentle, caring, and when needed, tough as nails.

Finding my passion has made me complete. I sometimes feel like I'm an infant, born again and given the gift of starting life all over. I have my whole life ahead of me. A life filled with a cause, a purpose, love, support, and the best of friends, both human and canine.

     ___________________________________________________________________________


We had such a wonderful day at the Sanctuary yesterday! So many volunteers and several on their first visit! The dogs were ecstatic! We give them so much: Large runs, warm shelter, medical care if needed, food, toys and treats, but what they want more than anything, is human companionship.

As I walked around, saying hi to the old and new, it made me think about all the new friends I've made since getting involved in animal rescue. I love and respect dearly each of our Board members. And I admire, appreciate and enjoy so much our network of volunteers, many who have become my close friends.

So THANK YOU guys! You're the best!

Tara









1 comment:

  1. It was a special day for me when I met you, Tara. I remember going home and calling some other rescue people to say "I finally met some ladies that want to help!". I was so overjoyed and excited that day, I cried. Now, today, I cry again. We've finally made it. Our dreams have come true and we're doing exactly what we dreamed of. None of it could have been done without us all! Love this group!

    ReplyDelete