Friday, March 20, 2015

The face of Rescue

   A week ago today, I travelled to a local shelter to possibly pull a couple of dogs to come live at the Sanctuary. I left with one pup, labeled "male" on the kennel card, but actually is a little girl.

   This sweetie has captured the hearts of everyone who has met her, including her run mate, Charlie. She's the sweetest dog I've ever come across. After a couple of days at the Sanctuary, her spay was scheduled where it was discovered that she has a very bad bronchial infection. She has not shown any symptoms of being sick at all, so it was a big surprise to find out that she is so ill.

  I brought her to my home to foster until she recovers. Charlie is not happy about that, but "Smokie" really needs to be indoors during this illness.

   Smokie was an owner surrender. Reason: "Dad can no longer care for the dog." Her intake form also states that she is a 1.5 year old, house trained, dog-cat-kid friendly, not spayed, not UTD on shots.

   I try really hard not to be judgmental. I have no idea what was going on in this man's life to cause him to surrender this precious pup. But why he took her to a high kill shelter... I'll never understand. Smokie is beautiful, young, no other obvious health issues, HW negative, with a great temperament. She's the perfect package. I'm sure, with a little effort, a home, foster or rescue could have been found.

   Thank goodness I made that trip that day! She probably would not have made it at the shelter. A shelter is no environment for ill animals.

   One, hopefully, saved... out of so many.

No comments:

Post a Comment